Thursday, June 26, 2008

traveling

Yesterday we climbed a volcano. 12,000 feet! It was the hardest thing I've ever done. Near the top it was 5 steps, stop, 5 steps, stop....terrible. I was glad I did it, though. The view from the top was beautiful. We were above the clouds and we saw the volcano next to us spurt out some smoke. I have pictures, but the connection here is too slow to upload, so I may not be able to get them up until we get home.
Speaking of home...we'll be there in 19 days. In the meantime we're going to see the country. I made a map of our travels, but couldn't get it uploaded, so we'll have to settle with this:
Tomorrow we're going two hours east to Lake Atitlan, said to be the most beautiful lake in the world. We're going to stay five days at the Vulcano Lodge.
From there we're going to Antigua, Guatemala's old capital. It's supposed to be a pretty city, but we've heard it's full of tourists. The locals call it Gringolandia. We're only going to stay there two nights, long enough to hike another volcano where you can poke the lava with a stick.
After Antigua we're going to Guatemala City to meet up with my grandpa's friend for an afternoon.
From there we're going to the Caribbean, which is only accessible by river. So first we'll go to Rio Dulce and then take a raft to Livingston. We think we'll stay there 3 nights.
From Livingston we'll go to Tikal and check out the Mayan ruins, we'll also stay there 3 nights.
Then, we're off to Semuc Champay, which is said to be the most beautiful place in Guatemala, it has rivers, waterfalls and caves. We'll stay there 3 night too, then head back to Guatemala City to fly home!
I don't know how much internet we'll have along the way, but I'll do my best to keep this up to date. We are excited to travel, but we can't wait to be home.

1 comment:

Adam Straw said...

12,000 feet, holy moly. What elevation did you start at? Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy poking lava with a stick. :)