Saturday, August 23, 2008

Iowa

Brad and I have only been back for two weeks, but I'm already missing Iowa.
Here are the highlights:

Spending a day with the Skow family on the day after a storm took out power in most of central Iowa. Of course the lack of air conditioning and the resulting heat didn't bother me as I'm well used to it by now. Or as Bob, the Skow family patriarch says, "Compared to a third-world country, this is paradise."

The cousins and I inventing a sweet new inner tube game at the lake, I could tell by the expressions on peoples' faces as they passed by in their speedboats that they were jealous.

Carolyn coming to Des Moines for a Theta Dropout reunion with me and Michaela.

Flippy cup in David's garage.

An ostrich and camel race at Prairie Meadows.

Drinking wine and getting the gossip down at Momma Dee's.

Quality time with Katie's baby. And Katie.

Playing Wii with my 80 year old grandma. She kicked my butt.

Letting Angela lead me and Adam around the Iowa State Fair. First stop: turkey legs.

Breakfast with Grandpa.

Wedding shoe shopping even though we came home empty handed. Which just goes to show that my dad's new nickname for me, the Imelda Marcos of Colombia, isn't exactly correct.

Playing flippy cup again. Only this time with members of the Mewhirter family in celebration of my great grandma's 100th birthday.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the camera to record every moment, but here's what I have:


Going to the fair...


"I want a corn dog, a lemonde, a turkey leg, a caramel apple, a nutty bar...."


The big boar


The big boar's balls






The Iowa Pork Princess


The butter Shawn Johnson


The butter cow






We began the family reunion at Oinker's




The family photo album


Effie's boys


There she is! 100 years old.


Grandma got a letter from the president.

No comments: