Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Argentina: Feria de Mataderos

Buenos Aires
Day Two

On Sunday, Brad and I headed southwest of the city to the Feria de Mataderos, which is held every Sunday to celebrate the gaucho traditions of Argentina.
The first part of the adventure was getting there. We took the subway most of the way, which wasn't all that fast, but worth it. The subway in Buenos Aires is so cool looking. The trains are old, with wooden interiors and all of the terminals have great designs with murals and mosaics. It was a little like being in a moving art museum.



When we got to the fair we were greeted by gauchos of all sorts and the delicious smells of grilled meats. (Let's count how many times I use the word delicious when talking about Argentina.) There was great shopping to do, so we picked up a couple of souveniers, gawked at the folk dancers and then, after resisting for a full 45 minutes, sat down to eat. It was.....delicious. Crispy, fatty chorizo on soft baguette, all washed down with a bottle of Quilmes, we wanted to keep eating, but at the beginning of the trip our stomachs hadn't yet enlarged to the massive size that they were when we left, so we filled up too fast to enjoy the rest of the choices laid out on the grill.





2 comments:

Laura said...

girl...you have lost weight. Lookin sexy. :)

Nitza said...

Hey Sarah, como estas? I miss you girl!! You pictures are so beautiful! I am a grandma! Mari had a son on Dec 24th. His name is Christopher Antonio and I love him so much. Tell me, when will you be back in the states? I want to do lunch with you or something. Let me know. My email address is NitzaL@Mchsi.com talk to you later.