Sunday, August 16, 2009

disconnected

This weekend we were without phone and internet, which was a little devastating considering they are our only connection to the real world (and the Real Housewives), but we managed. I don't know when we'll get the connection back. We're filling out work orders now, trying to get them to the right people.
But besides that nuisance we had a pretty good weekend. We went to a restaurant called Lydie's on Saturday. Lydie is from Belgium, but has lived all over, including, of course, Chennai where she's lived the past 5 years. She is an amazing cook. We had a delicious, three course meal and then sat in traffic for TWO HOURS trying to get home. We were supposed to go to a party at another teacher's place, but after TWO HOURS in traffic we couldn't face the streets anymore.
Without internet we don't have any TV, so I read Dead Man's Walk this weekend, the prequel to Lonesome Dove, and this is making me realize that life here could be a whole lot worse. For one thing we always have food. And we almost always have water. Also, the Indians here aren't after our scalps.
So, I tried to keep this is mind as I raged around the apartment Sunday morning thinking that one of my work tops and a pair of jeans had gone missing. I thought they'd blown off the roof during the laundry process and were gone forever. Fists clenched, stomping up the stairs I shouted, "I HATE IT HERE!!!!" But then found my "missing" clothes in a remote cupboard near the ironing board just a few minutes later.
Feeling a little sheepish about the temper tantrum, but still kind of rattled, I decided it was time for some retail therapy. So Brad and I went to FabIndia and bought two sets of gorgeous bedding, some picture frames, throw pillows, a painting and various knick knacks. Coming home with arms loaded felt like Christmas and once we had our new stuff on the beds, couches and walls we decided that we absolutely love life here and are staying for years and years...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

missis accept you like it better here in colombia! you should come back or come to visit in carnivals bff miss you

Anonymous said...

We want pictures...We want pictures..We want pictures..

Mom