Wednesday, August 26, 2009

school

I realized that I haven't told you much about school. I'm not allowed to post pictures but here are some things that you might/ might not find interesting:

I have students from South Korea, the US, France, Czech Republic, Japan, the Phillipines, India and Canada.

I am the assistant coach for the school's swim team.

There is a gourmet coffee shop downstairs.

On Mondays and Fridays there's Thai food in the teacher's lounge and on Tuesdays and Thursdays there's Iranian food. Both are delicious and only $2.66. I try to limit it to just once a week, though because the food's a little heavy and the weight's not falling off here like I thought it would.

My teaching partner is a Kiwi and she's endlessly helpful and wonderful. I love her.

We can order cases of wine and beer through the purchasing department.

We have a week off in October and unlike our last school, we actually get the week off. We're going to Goa.

The middle school has a week without walls where we take the kids on a trip.

Rumor is there are sometimes rain days during monsoon season where the city gets so flooded no one can make it to school. Last year a teacher had to be rescued from her second story.

The kids here will actually sit and work quietly when I tell them too. It's amazing. Unlike anything I've ever seen.

Oh, and I'm starting a new list of hilarious kid writing beginning with, "he was always acting so goody-tutious."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

heyyyy mrs. straw!WE WANT BATHROOM PASS! jajajja mrs. straww! im sure you havent made any kids cry in india!lol

bff said...

no more comments about us here in colombia any more
:( youre meeeeaaaaan:( now im crying.

fine stay with the indianeese

:p

Sarah said...

Many apologies Mary G, Christina or Sylvana....or all three. But until I hear that you are sitting and working quietly in Colombia the comment stays.

You should know though, that we do miss you all! The kids here aren't half as crazy. And they don't get bathroom passes either.

Lots of love!
Mrs. Paul

Anonymous said...

hi ms. straw!
wait, not ms. straw...MRS. PAUL! hahaha
guess who it is??
well, anyway, i can't BELIEVE that you like it more in india than here. i bet that no one will ever make you laugh as hard, cry as hard, or scream as hard as we did.
our english teacher is very nice but he's still at that point where he thinks we're all really stupid and aren't capable of doing much.
xoxo