Monday, August 16, 2010

immigrant

Being an immigrant is hard. It means waiting in long, confusing lines in small, airless offices. Here they don't turn on the air conditioner for immigrants. In Spain they made us wait in the rain. Also, it's expensive. We're lucky because the school helps us with the visa process, pays the fees, even gives us rides to the immigration office.

On Friday we went to pick up our visa extensions, which is simply a piece of paper. But getting that piece of paper took a whole afternoon. We have to have these papers if we want to leave the country (but not to get back in, something I don't quite get.)
Address and passport number blocked due to creeps and identity thieves.  
Anyway, I'm saying all this to tell you that we would like to move home, live as citizens. But we're not so sure that's possible. 400 layoffs in Des Moines last year makes us the 401st and 402nd people in line. I emailed the University of Iowa educational placement office to ask about jobs. I told them we'd move anywhere in the Midwest except Nebraska. And you know what they said? NEBRASKA is the only place that is hiring. So, we have to ask ourselves, what's worse? India or Nebraska. I honestly don't know.

A note:  My dislike of Nebraska is irrational, but that doesn't diminish the feeling.  "Why do you dislike Nebraska so much?"  "I don't know, I just, I just....HATE IT!"  And if you're from Nebraska, I'm sorry, I don't dislike you, just your state.  There's a difference, believe me.

8 comments:

Robbie said...

DMPS ended up actually laying off about 20 teachers and even those might have been spared by this latest round of money from the government...

My point: You will get jobs when you come back to Des Moines. You have your masters and Brad is a former Iowa Substitute Teacher of the year :-)

Anonymous said...

Now seriously! You would be next door!!!!! Give it up. I am sure Nebraska has wonderful attributes so keep an open mind.

Your loving Mom

Anonymous said...

I agree you guys...you are so marketable in DM!! PLEASE come back...if worse comes to worse I will hire you for Gemma's nanny and you can live with us for free ;) But you will have to start doing laundry! HA! Miss you tons! Michaela

Sarah said...

Robbie, you're very convincing.
Mom, I'm going to need a list of Nebraskan attributes.
BUT what if we got a job in JAMAICA?! Wouldn't that be almost the same as the USA? And I could still have a maid.
Otherwise, Mic, get the guest room ready!! Oh and I got to hold a baby today, same age as Gemma! Can't wait to meet her!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

Also, thanks for the love :) I needed it today (rickshaw day). ugh.

Anonymous said...

Nebraska comes after Missouri? Really? xo! Aunt DeAnn

Anonymous said...

We would just love to have you both back in the USA. OK-Nebraska is flat with way to many Big Red fans....but hey you would be alot closer to home and we would LOVE that.
Love the other Mom

Anonymous said...

Jamaica is not almost the same as the USA. We miss you! Come home!

Jan