Sunday, August 1, 2010

spoke too soon: the real byebye Bangkok post

Last night we thought we'd stay in, watch Mad Men, eat carry out, take it easy, but then we were like, HEY! It's the last night of vacation! So we mustered up our energy and hit the town.
Our first stop was for drinks on the 64th floor of the State Tower.  You pay for the view, but the drinks were good too.
Brad had a Vesper (the James Bond martini).  Mine was called a Mango Tickler.  There was lavender sprinkled on top. 






After drinks we went in search of dinner.  But we got distracted by an ice bar.  An ice bar in Bangkok.  Lunacy.  The lady at the door said it'd be 500 baht per person (about 15 dollars).  So we said, no thanks.  Then she added, "that includes drinks."  So we said, "OK."

even the glasses were made of ice

Eventually we got too cold and decided OK, really, now it's time to get some food.  But at that moment, one of our wildest dreams came true.  All trip we've been lamenting the fact that we're just poor teachers and that businessmen get expense accounts and wouldn't it be nice if one of them just took pity on us and bought us dinner?  And guess what?! A businessman from Singapore wanted to reminisce about his college days in Colorado and since Iowa's close enough, I guess, he bought us drinks.  And reminisced.  It was great.  But after the second round, we still hadn't had dinner.

So, we thanked the nice businessman, and took our broke butts to McDonald's.

Now, we're packing.  And packing, and packing and packing.  We have a ton of crap!  Good thing we bought this huge bag.

Brad's in here.  

HA!
Truly sad to see this vacation end, but it is time.  For one thing we're out of money.  Another, I'm getting fat.  And probably our livers could use a little rest.

Thanks for your loyal readership on our great adventure.  And like I said before, don't worry, the adventure continues.  See you from India!

6 comments:

Adam Straw said...

I think I am going to start an Ice Bar in South Carolina. That seems like a good idea since its 100 degrees and all. Good luck keeping up your Positive Mental Attitude back in India. You can do it!!!

ColeenMegan said...

Sarah,

I love your blog! Looks like you two had a great time, can't wait to hear all about it in person... possibly over some drinks if your liver hasn't died yet ;)

See you soon!

xo Coleen

ColeenMegan said...

P.S. How do I follow your blog? Do you have a follow link?!

Sarah said...

Hi Coleen! Are you back? We got in last night. Actually feels good to be "home". I don't have a follow button. I'll put one up.
See you soooooon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. I hope to see you at Christmas!

Jan

Seth said...

Ice Bar in Bangkok...that's the kind of thing I wish I could say I've done. I mean, really, there's pretty much no one-upping that!