Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Suan

Okay, I'm feeling better now and I'm ready to tell you about our weekend adventure to Suan, a small town about an hour and a half south of Barranquilla. We went there with our friend Gustavo, who teaches English to the children of Suan every Saturday. We left around 6 on Saturday morning, which made me a little cranky, but it was worth it.

I have never in my life seen anything like Suan: dirt roads, dirt floors in houses, chickens and cows running through the street, thatched roofs, kids in their underwear, street cart butchers...Most people in Suan had never seen an American before and seemed pretty curious about us. Gustavo was so excited that he could bring us, "What's better than one gringo?" he asked. "Two gringos!"



Gustavo eating a roadside arepa


This was my breakfast. The arepa is made of corn flour, and it is delicious! I don't think that this is what made me sick, but if it was it was almost worth it.



Suan taxi services


Suan students


The River Magdalena


Suan's butcher


Curious children


They only recently got electricity in Suan so the people obviously don't have dryers. Of course, Barranquilla doesn't either, or most of Europe for that matter.


These kids were playing soccer in their underwear, but they gave that up for throwing sand at a cow that wandered onto the soccer field.


This makes Britney Spears look like a good parent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who's that freakishly tall man in the back row?