Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sancocho

On Saturday we went to Alfredo's house for a sancocho. Alfredo is Amber's boyfriend. He's 35, but lives with his parents. Don't worry, that's the thing to do in Colombia. Alfredo's mom made us a huge pot of sancocho, a delicious Colombian stew full of meat and yucca (Colombian potato) that you squeeze a lime into right before eating. So far we haven't been overly delighted by Colombian cuisine, but Saturday's meal was exceptional. Halfway through my bowl of sancocho, just when I thought things couldn't get any more delicious, Alfredo's mom asked if anyone wanted cucallo, the burnt rice at the bottom of the pan. Besides the fruit, cucallo is the best thing about Colombian food. It is crunchy, salty, buttery, warm, a perfect accompaniment to stew or anything, really. After the sancocho we sat around and had a few Aguilas before heading to a small market six blocks away to finish our Christmas shopping.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updated info Sara! You made my day much better..;) You guys don't look sick to me! I love reading your blog..It is my ritual to check in every 12 minutes or so ;)..

xo-Mick