Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cold: Appreciate it

Warning: Do not read this post before sitting down to a meal.

I've heard some complaints from people at home about the cold, you're sick of it, you wish winter would just go away, you're freezing, you dream of beaches in tropical locations. I know, I've been there, but now I'm here in the tropics and I have to say it ain't so great either.
Three cases to prove my point:
1) Our garbage is kept in a covered trash can in a cupboard underneath the sink, but because of the constant, relentless heat if we leave it for even one day it fills our kitchen with a foul, horrible, putrid, nasty odor that makes us choke and gag.
2) There are a lot of homeless people in Barranquilla and no public toilets. The streets are literally covered in human pee. And hot pee doesn't smell good.
3) It is so hot and humid here that a fungus has actually sprouted on my face, right in the corners of my mouth, causing my lips to crack and bleed.

See? You only think you have it rough. Go out and and enjoy that crisp, clean, cold air.

No comments: