Wednesday, July 16, 2008

chicken bus

Brad and I took a chicken bus to Lake Atitlan. Chicken buses are old American school buses where they stuff people inside and put the luggage and other stuff on top (we were the only ones with luggage, everyone else had bags or bundles of produce). When we first got on the bus we turned around to leave because there were no seats. The driver stopped us and told us to just squeeze in with the guys in the second row. So, at this point there are three people in every seat and I figure we'll be on our way, but they're still cramming people on and the driver is hanging out the door hollering and trying to entice people onto our ride.

So, school buses are made for kids and Brad was uncomfortable. At one point during the trip he decided to stand, but the isle was so crowded that he ended up sitting on my chest. He didn't mean to and didn't even realize it until he heard me gasping, "Brad, I can't breathe."

"Oh, sorry." But he didn't have anywhere to go.

We were on the bus for a little over two hours. Getting off was one of the best moments of my life.














And for the first time ever....a video! I took this on our walk to the bus station in Xela.


1 comment:

Kelly said...

This story of your bus ride reminds me so much of every bus ride I took in Africa. Literally, one time I was stuffed into a station wagon with 16 people, two babies on laps, a goat and two chickens in the back. Public transport in Africa was always an outrageous experience. I need to see you soon so we can compare travel stories. I will be in Uganda for two years if you and Brad have a desire to venture to Africa after your teaching!