Thursday, August 7, 2008

and now and ode to my hiking boot


Oh, hiking boot I will miss you so, but I will always have the memories of the times we've shared together.

The town in Northern Spain where I left my luggage on the bus and was stalked by a creepy old pervert.

Through the Pyrenees and up the mountain in Switzerland where a lady served soup at the top. I was the only flatlander in the group and was seriously winded, but we made it didn't we?

And then grad school, where you patiently waited in the closet.

Two years later we made it up all 12,000 feet of Volcan Santa Maria. The next day my knees and hips ached, but my ankles were fine. Thank you hiking boot.

And I'll never forget our final journey together, Pacaya and its flowing lava. I was worried you would melt, but I should never have doubted your sturdiness. Even as I stood on molten hot ground to roast marshmallows, you kept me protected.

I was going to take you on the Inca Trail, but now you're in the hands of some idiot stranger who probably has stinky feet.

No comments: