Tuesday, August 4, 2009

feeling better, kind of

Brad and I have decided to fend for ourselves domestically, and I know the reading of this probably brought on a round of eyerolls, but I'm telling you it's not easy. For one thing the grocery store is about an hour's drive from school, there are other closer food-selling outlets, but I'm a little leery of those.
But we do have a well-stocked kitchen thanks to some Corning Ware I shipped (and thanks to some wedding guests. Thank you Joe and Leslie!) So last night I made tuna noodle casserole and despite a few improvisations it came together pretty well.
Then it was time to do laundry. Our washing machine is on the first floor and we have to dry the clothes on the roof. Hauling wet clothes up two flights of stairs isn't itself terrible, discovering that it's raining once you get there is. So again we improvised and rigged up a little shelter. I haven't yet checked on the status of the clothes because I can't go on the roof until I'm decently covered and if I cover up AND go outside I'll get sweaty, which is no good since the water is still just drizzling from the taps.
Michael, the driver, seems to know that his goose is cooked and is dragging his feet getting the registration done. But I have confidence that he will.
I'm also sure that in two weeks or less we will be mostly well adjusted to life here and I'll look back on these posts and laugh and laugh.
But for now, a little tear of self pity, a sniffle, and the last of the Doves....

1 comment:

Laura said...

You have an amazing attitude! Hang in there pal! Adjusting is always the hardest. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!