Monday, October 18, 2010

the Bad beginning

 
We’ve had a few vacations begin disastrously, but as far as bad beginnings go, this vacation wins. It all started on the flight from Chennai to Delhi where Brad’s seatmate wouldn’t allow the woman in front of him to recline her seat. He disallowed it by violently shoving her seat forward every time she tried to move it back. We’ve noticed this type of behavior before on Chennai to Delhi flights. Last time we flew to Delhi there was one fight on the plane. This time there were three.

A few minutes into the flight and my adrenaline was pumping, I was prepared to fight back, with anyone, but most especially the tiny, angry man in the seat next to us. Later Brad and I talked about it and discovered that we shared the feeling. Brad's plan of attack was to go for the throat; I was going to beat him about the head.

We finally decided on the best plan: roundhouse kicks to the face.

We made it to Delhi safely, but not until after midnight. With our next flight at 6 am, it didn’t make sense to get a hotel, so in the airport we stayed. In my younger days I spent the night on the floor of a London airport and swore I would never do it again. This time we had chairs, it made a bit of a difference, but not much.

In all, I think we got two hours of sleep.

From there things improved. How could they not? And after 16 hours of travel, we made it to the start of our trek: Pokhara.

It would be corny to say that from there the vacation went uphill, because, get it? IT WAS A HIKING TRIP! But it did. It went uphill to point that it might have been the best vacation of our lives.

I’m going to tell you all about it, but it might take a while. Grades are due Wednesday and Brad and I are experiencing some post-vacation depression. I’ll pull it together. Stay tuned.

No comments: