Monday, March 28, 2011

Istanbul

The first time I heard a call to prayer was from the mosque close to our school in India.  Then, I thought, "What was that?" Now, I expect to hear it, every afternoon, just after noon.

This vacation to Turkey is my first time in a Muslim country.  Here the call to prayer, if I hadn't had my first Indian introduction, would have been terrifying.  I say that, not because I've bought into the Teabagger fear of Muslims, but because it's really noisy...all at once, from all directions, the city is just suddenly filled with sound.  Surround sound.  There are mosques everywhere!

Normally, I try not to get political on this blog, but speaking of teabaggers...

Last night, we finally got tired of walking and took a taxi.  Now, I say finally because I'm guessing, without exaggerating, that we'd already walked about ten miles.  Istanbul is SO BIG.  So, anyway, we're in the taxi and the driver asks, "Where are you from?"

And I reply, "USA,"  then add, "Barack Obama," because I always like the reaction I get from that.

BACKTRACK just a minute here: The first time I ever lived abroad was when Bush was in the White House, and I got no end of grief about that, everywhere I went.  I almost made a t-shirt that said, "I didn't vote for Bush."

Back to the present.  The taxi cab driver perks right up, "Barack Obama!  Barack Obama!  Barack Hussein Obama!  I love him!!!!!!!!!"

And in case there are any teabaggers reading this: 1. We all know that Obama is a faithful Christian, but 2. the effect of Obama's race, name and background bring an amazingly positive amount of goodwill toward the US from every country.  And that makes my life a lot easier.

So....Barack Hussein Obama.  I love him too.

My other observations of Istanbul are this:

Street food: roasted chestnuts, roasted corn, popcorn, tea, and a toasted sesame bagel that is sosososo good.  I've had about 20.

Tunnels: they have lots of tunnels here to avoid crossing the street, and though I appreciate that, I think that tunnels are a place, in general, where you see lots of people you don't want to see.

Prices: are really high.

Organized tours: look sucky.  If you ever want to have a great time, travel with us.  Our days go a little something like this: breakfast, nap, walk, walk, walk, small amount of sight-seeing, wander around, coffee, lunch, beer/wine, take in one more sight, walk, walk, walk, cards, more beer/wine, dinner, dessert! and bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles taught me anything it's that you shouldn't be so quick to judge things that choose to live the underground lifestyle. It also taught me that rats are pretty much the wisest creatures in the animal kingdom once properly irradiated, so I could be off base here, but could we show some more respect for the tunnel-people?

That being said, I want lots and lots of photos of these subterranean freaks you're encountering.

Anonymous said...

Is the call to prayer with bells or are there different types of calls from the various mosques. Sounds like you are eating well.

Can't wait to hear about the culinary tour.

Love, Mom

Sarah said...

Mom, we are doing nothing but eating. The food is so good. But since we're walking too, I think I'll come out even, I'm judging things by how well my pants fit, which so far is fine.

The call to prayer is kind of a singing chant. Each mosque sounds basically the same, but I'm sure there are some subtle differences.

AJ, I will swap pictures of subterranean freaks for some pictures of you two in Saint Lucia. It's an unfair trade for you, though. Your fair perspective of underground dwellers will make tunnel-walking much more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah! I'm reading your blog and I am soooo jealous. I don't like school without you. It sucks.
I want to see some photos please. No gossip this end so keep me entertained with your stories!
Ruth
x x x x

Unknown said...

I have been in Istanbul and then passed to Antalya last month. Both city were wonderful. I had the chance to see so many places while i were in Istanbul. You can reach most popular places by metro or bus, also taxis are very cheap.

I suggest you to use taxi if you are more than 2 person. I have learn so lately but you can estimate cab fare and see the way that you will go with taxi in this website: http://taksiyle.com/en

It was useful and worked for me. I think that will help you if you are a stranger in Istanbul.