Sunday, March 27, 2011

surprise!

We're in Istanbul!  I know normally I spend the days leading up to a vacation telling you all about our big plans, but the lead-up to this vacation was a little screwy, so I just didn't want to get into it.  Anyway, we're here!  And it's great.  The bad surprise for us was that blogger has been blocked  by the Turkish government.  I can type using an IP blocker, but I can't seem to get pictures uploaded.  I'll work on it.

In the meantime, I can tell you what we've been doing: walking, walking, walking and eating.  Doner kebab, baklava, Efes beer, fish sandwiches, great bread, cheese, yogurt....it's been delicious.  Istanbul is an amazing city, so charming, full of character, culture, and to both our delights, very attractive people, friendly too.

So far we've visited the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sophia.  Last night we walked to the other side of town, over a bridge and then ate under the bridge watching the fishermen tug on their lines.  Right now we're sitting on our hotel's rooftop terrace with great views of the sea, several mosques and a kid's soccer game.

I think to solve the blogger block, I'll start up a flicker account, but in the meantime, stay tuned.  This is the last of our great adventures before moving home, and I have a feeling it's going to be a good one! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always paint a wonderful picture with words so keep them coming! Enjoy.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

How much longer are you there for? I supervised someone who married a Turkish man and needed to live there for 18 months in order for the marriage to be recognized in the US. I'd be happy to e-mail her and find out the best "local" places to eat! Shoot me a message on Facebook if you want to check it out with her as I'm sure to catch it that way!

Home is closer every day!

Jan