Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cappadocia Call to Prayer

We were eating a roof-top lunch when the midday call to prayer came.  I had the little camera ready, so thought I'd record it for you.  In most Muslim countries the call to prayer is 5 times a day: sunrise, midday, sunset, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. 

At least in Cappadocia the calls to prayer, or adhan, were recorded, not live.  The caller, or muezzin, says:
God is great
I bear witness that there is no God but Allah
I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah
Come to prayer
Come to salvation
God is great
There is no God but Allah

The call to prayer goes on longer than the video, but I figured that you all, like me, have short attention-spans. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, this is one time the verbal description doesn't quite do the moment justice.

50 days

Love, Mom