Tuesday, November 27, 2007

brad feeling bad and other news...

Brad and I made it back from Tyrona on Monday, but almost as soon as we walked in the door Brad started puking. He was throwing up and had diarrhea for four hours straight. After that he just threw up every hour until morning. I've never seen anyone so sick in my life. He's better now, but still recovering.

The trip was great before Brad got sick. We went to Tyrona with a big, fun group of people. We slept in hammocks instead of on the ground, had some good food and went to a new beach with enormous waves. I'll post pictures soon.

I went back to school on Monday tired from our trip and from staying up all night with Brad, but as usual, the day was full of hilariousness:

The eighth graders just started reading The Outsiders. Here's a snippet of our introductory discussion:
"What is an outsider?"
"Someone who lives outside."
"So literal. Anyone else?"
"A loner?"
"What if I told you I feel like an outsider in Colombia? Why would I feel that way?"
"Because you're an immigrant?"
And then it occurred to me...I'm an immigrant.

After school, Daniel, the most hyper-active 7th grader on the planet, came running into my room with a message about his friend who had just gotten out of the hospital:
"Missis, I talked to Fernando and he's doing just fine! Jesus is bigger than a coconut tree!"
"Who told you that, Daniel?"
"Nobody Missis, I just knew it! Jesus is bigger than a coconut tree!"
And then, with arms swaying in the air he began to sing:
"Jesus is bigger than a coconut tree!"
Encouraged by my uncontrollable laughter he hopped up on one of the classroom tables and began to dance and sing:
"Jesus is bigger than a coconut tree! Jesus is bigger than a coconut tree!"
A trip to Colombia would be worth it just to meet this kid.

But don't pack yet because Brad and I come home in 18 days! We can't wait to see everyone, eat good food, feel cold weather, drink safe water...go a few days without getting sick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to see you guys! I hope it works out that you can come to Minneapolis! I was laughing out loud reading "Jesus is bigger than a..." hahaha! I was picturing a kid that looked like Carolyn when she was an Elf for the DoJo Xmas party running around on a table with her hands in the air! I don't know why I picutred this but I did! I hope B-Rad is feeling better! That sucks!
-xo Mick

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to say that Jesus ISN'T bigger than a cocunut tree?!?! :):):)

Adam