Monday, November 1, 2010

The Best Day

I know I've been a little lazy with these posts, but here's the thing: Brad and I decided not to renew our contracts for next year.  Only because we just really want to be closer to home.  When we told the director of the school we were leaving he asked, "Where are you going?"  

We said, "We have no idea."  

And after several weeks of looking, and emailing, and waiting, and hoping... we still have no idea.

It's pretty worrying that come June we could be jobless, and that worry keeps me constantly occupied. We're not completely destitute on the job front.  We have a few irons in the fire, a few fingers in some pies, but nothing definite.  So most of the time, my main activity is worrying.  If you ever wonder, "Why hasn't Sarah been blogging?"  Now you know, it's because I'm worrying.  You don't even have to wonder.  

Now, back to Nepal.  Nothing to worry about there.  

Ghorephani to Tadapani
Day Three
After Poon Hill we had breakfast and a nap.  Then it was time to climb again.  All day we hiked with a view of the mountains.  After lunch we took another nap and then climbed again.  I had momos for lunch, something I first had when Dad and I went to an Asian food festival in Des Moines a couple of summers ago.  Then the momos at the Nepal tent were our favorites.  So I was excited to see that they were on every menu in every single place we stopped.  These were filled with cheese and potato.  A few nights later we also sampled buffalo momos.

lunchtime, naptime
We arrived in Tadapani with enough sun to get a good view of the mountains right in front of us.  These types of views are always enjoyed best with an Everest beer.  Or two.  While we were all sitting around we heard a commotion, the pounding of hooves, followed by human shouts.  It took us a while to determine the cause.  We didn't immediately recognize the sounds of a runaway yak!  It was the trip's first and only yak sighting.  And this particular yak wasn't long for the world.  Despite his attempts to flee, he was captured.  And most likely turned into a yak-steak.  I hear it's good.  

This was the best picture I could get.  The yak sighting was brief and a little chaotic. 
Once the sun was gone it was too cold to stay outside, freezing actually.  Fortunately, the lodge made accommodations for the cold in the form of an open propane-fueled heater that they slid underneath the dining table.  I was nervous about having a huge flame right underneath our wooden table, and wasn't quite sure where to put my feet, but after a while, things got nice and warm and cozy, and we all settled in for what was to be the best night of the trip.

Our guide told us that some people from town wanted to come and sing and dance for us.  My cynical self immediately thought, gimmick.  But I was so wrong.  He meant, truly what he said.  People in town wanted to sing and dance, so they came to the lodge.  We had about 30 people stuffed in there, all dancing, singing, drinking.  It was very genuinely a warm Nepali greeting.  And a great party.

No comments: